The trend and addiction to pornography is far reaching an alarming rate. It has continued to thrive in privacy and ignorance, very subtle that no one talks about, yet destroying lives and marriages. Sometimes ago, I discussed with some youths on this topic and this led me to a research on the prevalence of this chronic addiction. Against heresies, addiction to pornography does not go with sinners or singleness, the struggle continues after salvation and into marriage. It isn’t a sexual problem but of fantasy that thrives in secrecy. It is a big fight that the church is gradually losing, it calls for urgent action. Incase you’re not aware, here is the statistics of this giant and destructive industry.
THE SIZE OF THE PORN INDUSTRY: Selling pornography is big business. In the last 40 years, the porn industry in the U.S has exploded from a small-scale operation of $5-10 million annually into a giant industry with annual revenue of $13.3 billion in 2006, and a whopping $97 billion in 2017 – larger than all the combined revenues from professional football, basketball and baseball clubs for that same year. Every year, Hollywood releases roughly 600 movies and makes over 10billion in profit and that doesn’t take into account all the monies made under the table.
If the above information scares you, then brace-up for the following real but shocking revelations:
- Every second, $3,076 is spent on pornography (i.e $11million per hour).
- Every second 28,258 internet users view porn (i.e 102 million people per hour).
- Every second, 372 people search for pornography on search engines like google etc (i.e 1.3 million per hour).
- Every 39 minutes, a new pornography video is made.
- 76% of mobile phone users (interviewed) agreed to have porn pictures & videos on their phones.
- In 2016 alone, more than 4,599,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site. (PH Analytics)
- 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S. (Innocent Justice).
- At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related. (HuffPost)
- 12% of all the websites on internet is pornography (we have 24,544,372 porn websites).
- 25% of all search engine requests are pornography related (i.e 68 million a day).
- Average age of first internet exposure is 11 years.
- People who admit to having extramarital affairs were over 300% more likely to admit consuming porn than those who have never had an affair, according to a 2004 study in Social Science Quarterly.
- Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month. (HuffPost).
- Eleven pornography sites are among the world’s top 300 most popular Internet sites. The most popular such site, at number 18, outranks the likes of eBay, MSN, and Netflix. (SimilarWeb).
- 47% of Christians admitted that pornography is a major problem._- Children cartoon videos now also engage in sexual activities.
- The most popular day of the week for viewing porn is SUNDAY.
WHICH OF THE ABOVE IS MOST SHOCKING TO YOU?